Dave from Pennsylvania

Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Premier

Well, a great week so far..... I attended the Premier of the Who's new DVD/Movie on Tuesday night.

My friend, Steve, invited me along and I met a new true Who fan, Bob, Steve's other guest. It seems that early on in a hard core Who fan's life the spouse and children come along and are supportive; but in the end, there are just the die hard ones that just love the stuff Pete and Roger do onstage.

Of course, my daughters are still young and Hannah Montana tickets are soooo expensive now-a-days that my girls are still quite interested in The Who. We attended the Vasser event of The Boy Who Heard Music together this summer. We loved it.

On Tuesday, my planned 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hour drive into Manhattan became a nightmare at the very end ......as I tried to get into the city. (Yes, I do like to drive and walk in Manhattan.) I ended up running late due to traffic and found myself (in my suit and dress shoes) making my one and a half mile walk ...eh sprint....through the crowded streets to the event.

I got there late, but they were still not letting the audience in. Roger was in the lobby with the press giving an interview. Eventually they let us in and we walked the red carpet....no big thrill and we mingled for awhile. Then we went to the main screening room. There were other rooms which were getting a video feed from the main screening room in which we were seated. We had great seats....four rows from the top...dead center......for a screening room design...very slanted..these were some of the best seats in the house. My name was on an letter size paper on the back of my seat...so cool.

Roger was hanging around in the back while the center director did introductions.

Then the movie was shown...great audio.....and a nicely done movie. I was captivated despite my many years in Who-fan-dom. The part of the movie celebrating the Concert for NYC actually received applause.

After the show, Roger and Chris Stamp, and the movie producer and team talked about the movie. Roger, who refuses to watch himself on the screen, stated that he heard that the movie was very good. You can tell that Roger is very wrapped into the magic that happens when The Who are onstage, and I have to agreed that is magic from personal experience; but I missed Pete being there for the The Who can reach many with magic by various medium and settings....at least in my opinion.

My friends had to leave and I attended the after show VIP cocktail party by myself. I am usually quite social but talked to few there. I was tempted to sit at Roger's reserved table as he did not make it to the party. The food was great and I think I had one too many vodka tonics for I decided to walk back to the hotel.....turning the wrong way(s) of course as I chatted up a friend of mine (Hi, Colleen!) on the phone. It was a three mile walk by the end but quite a nice evening in NYC.

My feet still hurt. But I loved every minute of the trip and look forward to the next event where I can cross paths with my fellow fans and bloggers.

6 Comments:

  • Oh Dave, thanks my dear!
    How exciting!
    Too bad Pete wasn't there.
    I've never met Rog or seen him outside of a Who show.
    Did you see him on Conan O'Brien?

    Thanks again - glad you enjoyed it!
    xx

    By Blogger Suesjoy, at Thursday, November 01, 2007 2:04:00 PM  

  • Dave, I'm glad you had a reasonably good time. Thanks for the vicarious experience via your blog read! Yeah, too bad Pete couldn't make it. And sorry you had to attend the "party" alone. (I had to attend a Who show alone last March but made the best of it). It's always more fun with friends though, ain't it! (NONE of my immediate family is into The Who, so it can be frustrating. (I think they think I'm fanatical enough for all 4 of us put together)

    Love your pics below too... I'll try to visit them and comment too...

    - Lucy.

    By Blogger Lucy, at Thursday, November 01, 2007 4:21:00 PM  

  • Thank you Dave!

    What a nice retelling of your eventful trip :o) I wonder why Roger didn't show for the party? Maybe he had to go tape Conan's show. Happy that you had great seats. This just reinforces my desire to get my hot little hands on that DVD! ;o)

    xo Tink

    By Blogger Tink, at Thursday, November 01, 2007 5:17:00 PM  

  • Okay I am both impressed and JEALOUS. Fabulous entry and all those photos of you and ..who is that guy again? ...makes me VERY GREEN with the green eyed monster...:-)

    By Blogger Sidney, at Friday, November 02, 2007 3:24:00 AM  

  • Nice review Dave!
    I can't wait to pick it up in the store in a couple days.

    By Blogger ROB, at Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:22:00 AM  

  • Hi Dave!
    Lucky you! I just watched that documentary on VH1 yesterday! It was Fantastic! great description of the event! Makes me feel like I'm there!

    I hope to catch a Who event in the future, I still remember the Hotel Cafe performance and the Who concert like it was just yesterday!

    Take care.

    By Blogger Metalchick, at Monday, November 05, 2007 2:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home